Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Henry", Mr. Mitsuru Takahashi, Has Passed Away.

I just received an email this morning, informing me that, "Henry", Mr. Mitsuru Takahashi, passed away, May 16, 2012.  He is being buried today, 27 May 2012.

As I wrote to his friend, Henry touched so many lives from the small fruit stand called, "Henry's Place", he will live on in the hearts and memories of the thousands of us fortunate enough to have visited his shop and discovered the kind and gentle soul behind the counter.

I had planned on presenting Henry with his portrait when we arrived in Honolulu next Spring, but now hope his family will accept this tribute and that it will honor his memory for many years to come.
It is also my hope that future generations of Mr. Takahashi's family will be pleased to know how much he was loved and admired and that his radiant smile warmed as many hearts as the brilliant Hawaiian sunshine. 

The first papaya we enjoy from "Henry's Place" as new residents of Honolulu won't be quite as sweet with Henry gone, but if the family continues to operate the stand, the smiles will return and so will the sweetness and joy.  I believe Henry would be pleased. 


6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Mr. Henry. I know his family will love the painting - him smiling in his favorite place :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Rhonda,
    And I hope you're having a pleasant Memorial Day--maybe in the air conditioning, eh?
    Thanks for the nice comment about Henry. His passing certainly changes my thinking about the portrait. Of course, his brilliant smile and the twinkle in his eyes won't change, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of a tribute or memorial. I'll try to get a balance between his obvious zest for life and a calm dignity.
    Have a good week.
    Sincerely,
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sad news Gary...sounds like Henry touched your life in a special way...enough that you would spend hours and hours painting his portrait. I am sure his family will be very very honored with your gift. So sad Henry could not see the finished work himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,
    Yes, he was a special man and I'm really sad that he won't be there to receive the painting. I am looking forward, however, to delivering it to his family. I hope they will be happy with the finished painting.
    Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice Memorial Day!
    Sincerely,
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad he could not have seen the finished painting. But it is so full of life that i'm sure his family will be most moved by this great work, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Back, Harry,
    Yes, it was sad, but he lived a long and I'm quite sure, a good life. As you might expect, we're eager to make the move (we're down to ten months) and present the portrait to his family. I sure hope they will be happy with it.
    Thanks for the generous praise, Harry.
    Sincerely,
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete